Monday, November 8, 2010

Day 8: Celebrate the Small Stuff

This is Day 8 of our half-marathon challenge. Last week I logged about 15 hours of walking/ jogging/ panting/ slowing down hoping someone I knew was driving thru the neighborhood and could pick me up time. The farthest I went at any given time was 3 miles. Now you're probably saying "Lisa, you're training for over 13 miles and you can't go further than that?" And I would say, "mind you're own @@#*?? business!" And then I would say "IT'S 3 MILES IN ONE DAY!!!!!" That's good stuff for me! Everyday I walked or jogged somewhere when I didn't have to is an accomplishment worthy of a party. That's one of the upsides to having a child with autism. All expectations go out the door and even the smallest of goals met is worthy of a party.

Last night Jack had his first haircut... His first in four years! Now granted his hair doesn't grow that much and is thin, but we're definitely one of those pairs that when we walk through the grocery store we get the "does she even brush his hair?" looks. And that's because haircuts for an autistic child are one of those things that fall into the category of "may or may not happen because it is not worth the trauma that it causes" category. Along with clipping nails, the dentists, the potty, restaurants, family portraits, bicycles, etc. Now we're super blessed in that Jack is alot more tolerable of these things than many other kids I know with the same problems. He's making tremendous strides in his progress. But a haircut and potty training are the last two big things left for us to accomplish. The only way he got a hair trimming in the past was when he was asleep and that was at the hands of his mother. So the poor fella was usually walking around looking like he had the mange. So last night, his best friend and cousin Cole got a haircut from Mammie. We made Jack watch. And then we braced ourselves for a meltdown when we told him it was his turn. He started out terrified, and then wouldn't you know it, that boy sat there for a haircut. And then you had a room full of grown people doing the "2, 4, 6, 8" cheer and acting like he had just won the lottery, for them. It was great. We cried, took pictures, and I was so excited I just told mom to cut it as short as possible while we had him there, so my little man looks like he's going into the army.

But last night, there was reason to celebrate...celebrate big. If  I would have known it was going to occur, I would have baked a cake and hung streamers. But that is a gift that comes along with having a special needs child. On a daily basis, we are moved to tears by pride in something that Jack has learned to do. He has just now begun to interact with other kids on the playground. For the last 2 years, going to the playground was a chore, one that neither of us looked forward to. And now, it's one of our favorite things to do. He actually seeks out other children to play with and that is something I never thought he would do. The first time he chased someone, I jumped for joy and scooped him up crying saying "I'm SO proud of you for chasing that little boy!!!" Talk about getting some looks...but I could have cared less that day. And everyday since, he does something worthy of the celebratory cheer and dance. Whether it's following a two-step command or saying good morning to his brother, everything he does in this house is a big deal. And it brings me much joy to celebrate the small stuff. I wish everyone was forced to do that.
So we try to apply this philosophy to everything in our lives. Do away with all expectation. If we don't succeed at something or if we don't expect anything of others, then we're not that disappointed if it doesn't happen or if they let us down. But when we do succeed, or when someone does something praise worthy, it is indeed praised and a party ensues. It makes everything so much sweeter.
My only objective is to walk and or run every day. So when I've traveled 3 miles in a day, I've met and exceeded my goal by 2.99 miles. And when I get home, I celebrate with streamers and cake. (I'm just kidding about the streamers part)
Quote of the Day: "The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate."- Oprah
Song of the Day: Overjoyed- Stevie Wonder

2 comments:

  1. Scott and I are doing the Thanksgiving 5k at the BancorpSouth center and I printed out registration for the Jingle Bell Jog too! So looks like we have a date! *giddy*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, Christy told me about your blog this morning! Just read all your post and am hooked! I am cheering for you here, as I sit still in my pj's at 1:45! I totally relate to so much that you are saying! My life has revolved around our children for the past 11 1/2 years! They are my greatest joy! Just want to encourage you with your running! You can do it! I wasn't a runner either, but 3 years ago had some of your same feelings. Started with couch potato to 5k, and next month will be running my 4th half! Great therphy~love it! Keep it up~ you will be so glad you did! Blessings, Lynn Mims

    ReplyDelete