Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day 2- Born to Run

Hello friend. So we've made it. 2 days of blogging, 3 days of running. Every day I succeed at those two things will be cause for celebration.
So do you remember that show "The Swan?" They found the homeliest of women and a team of plastic surgeons remade every inch of the poor woman's body until she came out, not looking so much like a swan but more like a completely fabricated barbie doll with no resemblance of her former self. What I found so fascinating and profound on that show is when they did the follow ups. Because they never gave them an emotional makeover, their physical makeover, while still apparent, had not been maintained. They didn't provide these women a gym membership to upkeep their newly stapled tummy or gift certificates to the hair dressor to maintain their 500 dollar haircut and color. They didn't give them any new clothes minus the pageant gown for the televised premier. They just let let them go back home. And these women, like the viewers, quickly realized that the change that was supposed to change their lives had only changed a few physical attributes. But on the inside, they were still the same. Now when I watched this show it was pre-baby, pre-breastfeeding days when I still shopped at Victorias Secret, spent 100 bucks to get my hair done every 6-8 weeks and showered every day. I used to think "how do these women let themselves go like that...their poor husbands!" Fast forward to the present and guess what....I'm now hoping for the renewal of that show and that the FOX producers are going to have an open casting call at the Mall at Barnes Crossing and I'm gonna camp out for 3 days in the hopes of becoming "Tupelo Barbie." Now that I'm more "mature" in my outlook on women in their thirties and motherhood, I've come to realize two things: 1)women don't just let themselves go. We don't choose to become overweight and wear maternity clothes on our child's second birthday. We don't purposefully wear 6 inches of black roots on the top of our heads in hopes of bringing the Sarah Jessica Parker look to fashion in Tupelo. What happens is, we become responsible for other beings in the world and all of a sudden making sure those other beings thrive, stay clean, eat, sleep and get educated kind of takes precedence over whether or not my nails are manicured. And before you know it, I'm looking in the mirror trying to remember when my last shower was and trying to come up with a new snazzier way to wear a ponytail. The second thing I've realized is this: WE NEED HELP. Single moms, I don't know how you do it. You deserve your own blog as well as free passes to the spa, the mall and to Wal-Mart. The majority of those "Swan" women didn't have a support system at home. I myself, am the luckiest girl in the world. I have the strongest support system in the free world and I still struggle. But I know you can't do it alone. You need help from some source, whether it's emotionally, physically, or financially, it's damn near impossible to go it alone. Let's all (both of you) stop and think of our family, friends and loved ones who shape our lives. If you have someone who motivates you, who encourages you, then make them your constant companion. Let them know how you rely on their help. Let them know how much their encouragement affects your daily life. And if you don't, then find one. For years my dad said, "You can't soar like an eagle when you're hanging with turkeys." And guess what, he was right....again....damnit. And for so many years, I didn't soar. I didn't even get my arse off the ground. It was Thanksgiving for me for about 8 years of my life. I didn't accomplish anything except debt and scenery. But the minute I made wiser decisions about who I surrounded myself with, I myself started to make better decisions. While I know it's easier said than done, it can be done. Life is too short to be around people who bring you down. It really can make all the difference. Thank you Jon. Thank you Sarah and Chris, Francis, Kelly, Allana and Garyon, and Emily. I'm a better person because I know you.

Quote of the Day: The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don't define them, or ever seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do along the way, and WHO WILL BE SHARING THE ADVENTURE WITH THEM.-Dennis Watley
Song of the Day: Halo- Beyonce

No comments:

Post a Comment