Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 85: Last Week spent on the IR

Hey peeps!  I did not realize it had been over a week since my last post. Thanks for caring enough to see that I was alive and still at it. Last week I came down with the bursitis. (Yes, THE bursitis, like THE walmart, THE facebook, that's how I talk yo.) I did my long run last Sunday and felt great. 5.5 miles with my run 10 minutes/walk 1 minute routine and I felt legit. I updated my calendar for the next six weeks and in my mind, I finally realized that not only was I going to do this, but I might even finish it as a sane, coherent person able to walk through the parks afterwards. I went to bed that night feeling good. And I woke up Monday morning feeling like the tin man without his oil can. I could hardly walk or bend at my hip. There was a knot there as big as a lemon...ok maybe the size of a quarter, but you could definitely feel it. While I was definitely bummed and scared for what having a running injury might do for my training, I was also a little proud. This meant I had actually been working my body passed it's comfort zone; that my body was in fact reacting to having to run and being pushed to do something other than eat, sleep, chauffeur children and the occasional step workout (AKA stepping on the scale to see how much a sedentary lifestyle can afford you.)
It was also my body telling me that she was pissed that I didn't stretch properly. That's the major pointer you get when starting to run. Everything I read or heard about running was that you needed to stretch afterwards. And while I'm realizing the ramifications of ignoring that very valuable pointer, you also have to understand that when I finished my first mile ever, I was just so happy to have accomplished that that stretching was the last thing from my mind. And it's been that way ever since. I'm so excited to come in the door and tell my husband that I ran two miles without stopping or that I ran four miles and didn't die! Every time I run farther I can't wait to talk about it that stretching just takes a back seat. But lesson learned. Lesson learned. I spent all last week not running, "resting" and loading up on ibuprofen and muscle relaxers and having nightmares that the mickey golf cart was picking me up because I was crawling down main street due to my lack of stretching. Lesson learned.
I have also learned this week the valuable lesson of fueling your body, especially for a long run. I do my long runs on Sundays. Yesterday we were granted the opportunity to go to the movies, a luxury we are rarely afforded now, so we went. (Side note: we saw "The Fighter". So good! Christian Bale might have had the greatest acting performance of anyone...EVER. Amy Adams turned me into a true fan, and I've not liked Marky Mark so much since he was modeling his undies for CK.)
When we go to the movies, we substitute all of our meals for the day for the bucket of popcorn. Totally worth it in my opinion. Not worth it however, if you're planning on running 7 miles when you get home. I made it 2.5 miles before gagging up popcorn kernels and spending the rest of the night in the bathroom. Again, lesson learned.
So here we are, 5 weeks away from embarking on a mission that will forever change my life. I feel pretty good. Scared still, but good. I continue to rely on others advice and words of encouragement and motivation from other blogs and my husband. So thank you to those of you who have made time to message me or write your words of encouragement on THE facebook wall. It means more than you know and really helps on days that I want to be a stationary hermit.
Quote of the Day: Let go of the past and go for the future. Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you imagined.- Henry David Thoreau
Song of the Day: Absence of Fear - Jewel

No comments:

Post a Comment