Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day 73: Playlist for the Weird

If you haven't noticed by now I am a highly emotional and sensitive person. I mean that in the best and worst way possible. While I enjoy being moved to tears by the Biggest Loser and Intervention and things like my son telling me that "I look bootiful" on a day that I haven't even had time to brush my teeth, I don't enjoy crying for no particular reason. And I do sometimes. Some of it I can attribute to being overly sensitive to things. For the rest I can thank my fickle battle with depression I've had since I was 15. Yes sometimes I wake up and despite my best efforts at being positive, happy, and thankful for all of God's blessings that he's bestowed upon us, my body and my mind are just sad. I've learned to live with it over the last decade and have found ways to cope. One of those ways is music. I am astounded at the power of music. And this is coming from someone who doesn't listen to the radio. I love my cds, my ipod, and my itunes. Without them, I would be lost, unable to find motivation on one of those said days that I just can't get it together. The same can be said for running. I can. not. do. it. without my ipod.
They suggest for the Princess Half Marathon that you don't use headphones; that there will be "entertainment" along the race route to keep you motivated. Now while I'm excited as all get out to see Pirates and Tinkerbell and Cinderella handing me water and listening to the Disney bands on that day, I know once I get out of the Magic Kingdom and start mile 7-13 on the Florida highway the only way my legs are going to keep moving is if I've got my ipod going. And the only time those headphones are coming off is when I get to see my family and/or the finish line...god willing.
Last night, as I ran through snow filled streets (first time ever) I realized how funny my playlist is. Someone asked me once what kind of music I listened to while running and I was kind of embarrassed. But now, I've embraced it. Because it's what works for me. It made me realize that while I'm pushing for my body to become more physically fit, it's still being driven by pure emotion. I cry on just about every run, according to what song I'm listening to. So I thought I would share my playlist in lieu of the song of the day. Enjoy, either the song or the fact that I indeed run to it.

If I Had A Million Dollars - Bare Naked Ladies
Go The Distance - Disney's Hercules
Clocks - Coldplay
Dancing Nancies - Dave Matthews
Bellas Lullaby - Twilight
In My Life - Beatles
Empire State of Mind - Jay Z
Halo - Beyonce
Seasons of Love - RENT
Least Complicated - Indigo Girls
Love's Recovery - Indigo Girls
I Miss You - Blink 182
No One - Alicia Keys
Don't Stop Believin - Journey
Carry on Wayward Son - Boston
Wave on Wave - Pat Green
Defying Gravity - WICKED
Leave Out All The Rest - Linkin Park
Let It Be - Beatles
One - U2
Claire De Lune - Twilight
Fix You - Coldplay
Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo

Quote of the Day: I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music. - George Eliot

1 comment:

  1. LiLi, I'm so proud of you!!! Girl, when you said, "...it works for me!", I wanted to leap and shout. That's it, baby, your playlist works for you and by God, that's all that matters. When you feel like you can't run anymore, remember you CAN "Go the distance." And when you feel a shadow of doubt, may the grace and strength of God come on you "Wave on Wave." When you feel alone in the race, remember to "...celebrate, remember a year in the life of friends" who are rooting for you. And your family will be waiting on you as they see your "Halo" from miles aways coming toward the finish line!! I love you, LiLi!! I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete