Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The train to Funkytown

Saturday May 18 @ 2:55. Coming to you live from Walt Disney World. The kids are napping and I finally have a moment to catch you up on the blog, the race, the life and to have a very large cocktail.

First up, the Gumtree 10k. The sister and I had a successful race, finishing at a respectable 1:15. Well I thought it was respectable and if you don't, well then, you're missing the point. We had a good, easy run. We laughed and talked about people, life, and the rising, perplexing fad of selfies. I'm not against it, I just don't get it. And I'm clearly in the minority by not being a fan. But It's no skin off my back though if you want to take a pic of yourself at an unflattering angle and post it to your social media, or heaven forbid while you're driving a 200 pound piece of machinery down a highway or even worse, in a bathroom mirror after you've just finished doing God knows what in that bathroom stall. But tomato, tomahto. We made some plans for future races and luckily or unluckily, didn't have to ask the cute cops for a ride home. Best moment of the day came when I got to place her medal around her neck. Her first 10k medal. We both cried- her because I think she was proud of herself, and me because I was super proud of her and for her and I remember how it felt to get that first medal; to do the thing you thought you couldn't do and get that reward and proof of accomplishment. It's an amazing feeling and I was so proud that she was able to experience it. I also cried because I realized that the only thing that could make running better for me, besides small boobs, is to do it with Sarah. And she's hooked! Which would be the best thing to ever happen for me and my motivation to run local races. And I think I talked her in to doing a half with me in New Orleans in the fall. Solidified by my loving husband's mothers day present to us both- to pay for it :) Did I mention I've never been to New Orleans? He might need to throw in a chaperone for that trip as well. Or at the very least a limited daily bar allowance.

Second topic: my mental state. Look, I haven't updated as frequently because honestly, I'm in a funk. A depressive, chop all my hair off and eat a Chinese buffet everyday funk. And I feel dishonest if I get on here and try to motivate or preach positivity when all I want to do is complain and try to sort thru my stuff while eating a box of Girl Scout cookies. And trust me when I say you don't want me to blog about it. But a big blessing came in a small package by way of a long lost friend, Kayla Steward Halls. Friends in middle and high school- I haven't seen her in probably 15 years. She found the blog and thankfully, wrote me on the FB. She reminded me that it happens to everybody. And eventually, "that funk train moves out." (Or in my case, that bitch of a thing Aunt Martha finally makes an appearance and your emotions eventually equalize.) So if I disappear for a while, just know I'm sorting it out, trying to keep myself away from the hair sheers and cookie aisle and saving my husband the embarrassment of publishing what really goes on in my brain every three weeks.

Lastly, I'm at Disney! My favorite place. It's our second day and already we have established that we will no longer force Jack to go to the Magic Kingdom, like, ever again, and we will for sure force George to take a nap, like everyday, to ensure that I don't send him to Disney day care. Good news is they love the pool and my motto still stands: a bad day at Disney is better than a good day at home. (Agree to disagree)

PS The three of you that read the 1st installment of this blog might remember the entry about me planning on doing the thing I make fun of people about doing but secretly wish I did, which is going for a run on vacation at Disney world. I mean, you're walking 2-3 miles a day. I'm doing it with a 5 month old strapped to my bosom. I'm burning calories. Why the H would I need to go for a run?
Answer: because that's what runners do. So I packed my shoes and run clothes. And going into day 3 of vacay, they are still, in fact, in the very same spot I packed them in. So that's my goal- just go for a run while I'm here. I can just imagine how proud I would be over something so insignificant. I'm gonna do it! Yeah, I wouldn't hold your breath.


PSS It is now Wednesday. I've returned home. I've unpacked. And my shoes and running clothes were, in fact, in the same spot I packed them in. So, middle finger up to that goal.

Quote of the day:
"The only way to get started is to stop talking and start doing." -Walt Disney

"The difference between a woman on her period and a terrorist is you can negotiate with a terrorist."- a wise but unknown source

Song of the day: "Funkytown" by Lipps Inc.




Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment